New Addition to the Family

About the first day into our trip to Oregon, I received a phone call from my ResHab Affiliate Agency saying they had an emergency placement they thought would be perfect for our home. Problem was, I wasn't home. With a few phone calls, they worked out a temporary placement until I got home. Well first thing Monday morning, I get a call saying "Buddy" (not his real name) was ready to move in at 4:00. No groceries, a weeks worth of dirty laundry and a very dirty house sent me into high gear. By 3:50, the cupboards were washed and stocked, the house scrubbed and the eigth load of laundry in the spin cycle. Buddy arrived with his mom and immediately began to explore every nook and cranny leaving no drawer unopened and no vacuum or broom unused. (He loves vacuums and brooms.) Within an hour we had reviewed his plan and history and he was moved in. I still have to paint his room, hang curtains and replace the door damamged from our last client, but I love this stuff. Buddy is autistic which presents some interesting challenges, but I am looking forward to utilizing my sign language and IBI skills. My family is basically in "shock" which I always feel guilty about but believe that in the end, each experience has brought a growth and closeness in our family that is so valuable. During our family pow wow tonight, we each expressed our concerns, fears, hopes and dreams for Buddy. In the end we all agreed that despite the abrubt change in our routine, we are glad to have the opportunity of welcoming one of God's most precious of children into our home. For more information on Autism click on www.NationalAutismAssociation.org

Comments

jenn said…
ummm sandi! you are such an inspiration to me! you and your family are so great! what experinces you have with all of these people in your home! (: miss yoU!
Kim said…
Sandi!

It's time to reconnect! I have a blog (much inferior to yours :) at gkdearton.blogspot.com. I'll call you soon, or you can even call me--523-5582. Kim